Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Life as a DC Intern

I officially survived my first three days of interning! So far I am liking the overall experience. I have nothing but great things to say about Jubilee USA and of course my great supervisor, Hayley (who hopefully is reading this!) It is definitely an experience interning in DC, and especially right on Capitol Hill. (I'm technically a block behind, but it's pretty darn close.)

Highlight of intern life: feeling "in the loop"

So far I have been sitting in on a lot of meetings, which may not seem that appealing, but I really enjoy meeting new people and talking about all these exciting issues. It's been particularly busy for Jubilee because we have been getting a lot of attention around Haiti's debt relief. Debt relief is important not just in the wake of Haiti's earthquake, but also for all developing nations to keep their resources in their country for things like education, healthcare, and economic development. It's great being around people that care about the same issues I do, are knowledgeable about it, and have the same passion for advocacy.

And my favorite accomplishment from this week was getting to post on Jubilee's Blog! Check it out here: http://jubileeusa.typepad.com/

Lowlight of intern life: commuting

Ok, maybe to say it is a complete low of interning is an overstatement. I do have a beautiful 10 minute walk from the metro past the Supreme Court, Capitol Hill, and Library of Congress. But today especially made it an adventure that always keeps me on my toes. From my last post you know the ups and downs of the metro, which is just part of the whole commute experience. Today there was a ton of police with sniff dogs all over the place when I got off at Union Station. It's hard getting used to security everywhere, but I have to remind myself that it's good to have them around and there supposed to be there or whatever.

But the real reason why commuting is not enjoyable is CROSSING THE STREET! Ok, laugh at me for being a small-town girl. but today I was legit HIT BY A PRIUS! I was crossing with the walk sign on and at least 10 seconds left. This Prius (which I'm sure was a very nice person) starts pulling out to make a right turn on red. It just sort of pushed my legs and I banged on the hood saying "Hello!" The lady felt really bad and I was totally fine and just kept walking. Just another day in the life.

So those are my thoughts so far. We are getting our second snowstorm in a week here. Not cool mid-atlantic region! But the good news is my professor declared a SNOW DAY! Unfortunately my plans will mostly consist of my research paper, but it'll be a nice break.

My next post will probably be after my trip to NEW YORK CITY this Sunday- Wednesday! Hopefully I will have some great pictures and cool stories to share!

2 comments:

  1. How cool that you are interning at Jubilee! Sounds like it would be great no matter what, but right now, you're really in a good place to push the debt issue with Haiti while the world is paying attention. The street-crossing adventure is good practice for Ghana, where you will REALLY need to be on your toes as a pedestrian. Have a great time in New York City! Looking forward to the pics, and be sure to make a snow angel (and take a photo) in all the inches you're getting right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! This is so cool! I didn't even know that you were in DC until like three days ago! :)

    ReplyDelete