Monday, February 15, 2010

Escape to NYC, Home in DC


Happy President's Day!

It's the final day of my unexpected snowpocalypse vacation. Yep, I have not been in school since February 5th. I would say lucky me but this was probably the only semester of my life that I didn't want a snow day. Oh well, I'm ready to move on from the snow, think spring, and talk about the other things going on in life- Most recently, New York!

My class, International Environment and Development, went with the two sections of International Law and Organizations. My professor told us on the first day that IED and ILO students are very different. ILO students are the go-getters, cut-throat, Rise to the top type. IED people like teamwork, working with people, and sharing ideas. It's pretty funny to see these characteristics come out, but it was very true that IED kids liked to stick together. I have good friends in the ILO classes, no hard feelings guys. I'm just definitely a proud IED girl.

The United Nations tour was fun. You can see the picture of me in the General Assembly room. It's really cool comparing the UN to the US Capitol. I feel like the UN is a group of IEDers and the Capitol is a bunch of ILOers. The UN has all these really great ideas and potential, but it will always be overshadowed by it's feisty southern brother in Washington. The people we met at the UN do not have the ego stroking importance of DC's finest. You would think people that represent the entire world in one place would feel a little more powerful. In DC, it's said that everyone thinks they are a little more important than they actually are. At the UN, even the Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon is less cocky then the Leahy Staffers!

New York City in general is very different from Washington, DC. This my not be that shocking to people, but you definitely look at cities differently when you already live in one than when you go to a city from your small town bubble. The metro is the best example, after making the DC metro a part of my life you would think the NYC subway would be an easy transition. Not at all. The NYC subway is dark and scary and full of strange noises and smells that I am satisfied never suffering through again.

I came to DC hoping my life would be tested as a "city girl." I really do love DC, but one city does not transfer into all cities! Speaking of cities. On a totally separate note, I am loving all the attention Vancouver and Canada are getting during the Olympics. I hope everyone got to see the NBC footage of the importance of Canada to the US. Maybe I'll write more about that coming up. But I could definitely be an any Canadian city girl.

Coming Up!
As requested by mom, Rachael, and others- my next post will focus on my trip to Ghana in just over a month now. I am fundraising for a school and health clinic. I will explain all about my trip, and hopefully some of my loyal readers can help me out!

P.S... It just started to snow again.

No comments:

Post a Comment