Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Taste of the City

I have a few exciting news updates to report. First, and most exciting is that I have an internship! It's with Jubilee USA Network which I was already familiar with their great work on international debt relief through Student Global AIDS Campaign. I start on Tuesday, so much more about that to come. I do have to say that the best part about this internship is that it's barely a block behind the Capitol. It's such a cool commute right in the heart of the city and part of my internship will involve lobbying on Capitol Hill, especially in light of all that needs to be done to relieve Haiti's debt.

Yesterday, our adventure was at Art & Soul Restaurant owned by Chef Art also known as former chef to OPRAH! I was so excited to experience first hand all my love for Top Chef and the Food Network. We were able to have such a fancy lunch because of DC's Restaurant Week. Many DC restaurants participated in $20.10 three course meals- a steal even my mom would be proud of. I ordered butternut squash soup with creme fraiche, butternut squash filled ravioli in an incredible citrus oil sauce, and finally almond cheesecake with fresh raspberry drizzle. Much to the dismay of my friends, I commented on every bite and pretended to be at the judge's table for Iron Chef. All I can say is that it was absolutely divine! I ate everything which is probably one of a handful of times in my life when I didn't have leftovers to bring home. This was definitely an unexpected gem of DC.

Speaking of the unexpected. I have a confession to make. Now please consider that we are not in New England any longer, but I have definitely been frequenting Starbucks more than Dunkins out of pure convenience. It's really just because they are all over the place, but now I've become one of those customers that has an "order." My new favorite treat is a tall skinny vanilla latte and the honey & granola greek yogurt. Yes, I know this could happen anywhere, but it is a nugget of happiness I have discovered in DC.

Back to DC, I also need to write about Monument Day. No, this isn't a DC-wide thing, just a Kate & Kim's awesome idea thing. Well, the idea should be credited to the lovely Leah because it was at her request that we buy an "I <3 DC" shirt and take pictures at the monuments. I guess this was necessary to get out of our systems so we can fully cross the threshold between tourist and local. Here's a taste of our ultra-touristy day.

2 comments:

  1. Starbucks is, and always will be, better than Dunkins' at everything except for doughnuts...glad to hear you've crossed over!
    side note though- now that I'm in London, I want to try more British stuff so I don't go to Starbucks as much- I go to Pret-a-Manger (a chain that is everywhere) and am OBSESSED! Coffee is not as good as Starbucks but the sandwiches are 85x better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like traveling. I traveling around the Asia and I feel that I fulfill my happiness.

    Thanks for the nice article and sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete